Scottish Chefs' Recipes
Brian Maule: Chef
Ingredients: serves 4
- 900 g apple
- 85 g butter (or margarine)
- 4 tbsp water
- 170 g plain flour
- 85 g caster sugar
- 115 g brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch of lemon rind (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into a pan then add the water, brown sugar and grated lemon rind.
- Cover and cook gently until the apples are soft.
- Once cooked, turn into a greased pie dish.
- Rub the butter or margarine into the flour, add the sugar and ground ginger and mix well.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the apple and press down lightly.
- Cook in a moderate oven until golden brown.
When cooked sprinkle with caster sugar and serve with cream or custard.
Once cut, apples can discolour if they are left open to the air; to avoid this you can dip them in lemon or pineapple juice.