£93 million of dairy waste is thrown away by Scottish households every year – that’s enough for everyone in Scotland to have milk on their cereal for the next 6 months!
Before you shop
- Check your fridge and write a list of all the items you need and know will be eaten.
- Look at what is left from last weeks shop, are there certain things you don’t need to buy this week?
When you shop
- Remember to look at the use by dates to make sure you are able to use them in time, Waitrose for example are given dates more prominence on their labels so you can easily identify them.
- Take a cool bag with you so that you can keep your chilled foods cooler on the journey home – it makes a real difference on a hot day!
- Think of buying fresh produce in smaller quantities more often so you can enjoy it at its best.
- Dairy products come in a variety of pack sizes making it easier for you to get the amount you need.
Making the most of your dairy
- All your dairy products should be refrigerated within two hours of purchase. Ice cream and other frozen dairy products should be put in the freezer as soon as possible.
- Keep all your dairy products in the fridge, unless you plan to freeze them.
- Remember to keep your fridge between 0-5°C.
- Try rotating the food in your fridge, so that any food at the back that needs used up first is brought to the front.
Good for you
- Dairy products are a great source of protein, vitamins A and B12 and calcium which our bodies use to keep our bones strong.
(source: Food Standards Agency)
To access campaign resources and materials please visit our Waste Aware Partners website.