The website for food lovers who hate waste. Find out how you can save money and help the environment with our hints, tips and recipe ideas.
- Over £1 billion worth of food is wasted by consumers in Scotland each year. That’s an average of £430 per household.
- Scottish households throw away 566,000 tonnes of food every year.
- Two thirds of all food waste could have been eaten.
- Half of the good food thrown away is untouched, with one in seven items still in their packaging.
- At least £18 million worth of food thrown out is still in date.
- If we stopped wasting all this food, we could prevent the equivalent of 1.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide each year in Scotland. This is the same as taking 1 in 4 cars off the road.
Hints & tips
The freezer should be every food lover’s best friend! It’s a great tool for preserving food, sealing in freshness and keeping tasty meals to hand, which can save us time and money and help to reduce food waste.
Click here for hints and tips to make the most of your chilled chum!
Pick one of our chefs to browse their recipes.
Find out what retailers are doing to reduce waste.